13 June 2012

When One's Creativity Is Another's Resource. Doh!

"Imitation is the sincerest form of flattery."

This idiom comes to mind after reading a friend's statement about his dislike of copycats.  I feel the same way he does.  And I totally disagree with the whole flattery thing.

Jay and I have an ongoing debate about this.  He thinks I should be flattered when my ideas are copied.  I so think otherwise.  And from what I've read in the past few weeks, there are a lot of people out there who think the same thing.  I've been reading a lot of posts on Twitter from bloggers whose ideas are being plagiarized.  I'm pretty sure I don't have to worry about that, but it stinks for the people it's happening to.

And I do know what it's like to have a wonderfully original idea--something totally individual--whether it is a style of handwriting/calligraphy I've come up with, a painting or drawing, or a funky decorating idea I've thrown together on my own, something that I'm really proud of for it being mine and only mine, and then seeing it again elsewhere.  What a downer!  It's only those specific ideas that get ripped off from me that get my dander up.  There's nothing worse than your own creativity being used like the reference section at the local library! 

And that's that.  The rant is officially over. 

Now, on an aside.  Speaking of being original and cats and such, there's this family a few houses down the street from us.  They have this giant  Maine Coon cat.  And whenever I drive by their house, they are out walking it on a leash!  Very funny to watch, especially if the cat is relieving him/herself and one of the owners is just standing there staring at the happenings.  Took me a few times of rubbernecking before I realized it was actually a cat and not a dog or a wombat or something.  I'm trying to figure out a way to surreptitiously get a picture of these goings-on without getting in trouble and being chased down by Monster-cat and its owner.  But if I do, I'll be sure to post any photos here first!
In the meantime, please enjoy this rendering:


No comments:

Post a Comment